Let’s get one thing straight here ‘cos I know what some people will think about this: you don’t have to love Apple or iPod, love ‘em, hate ‘em, no problem – but oh boy, do you really hate them (and yourself) enough to buy a Zune? No, me neither.
I appreciate this is fairly low linking to an article slating a v1 product release, but it did make me laugh … engadget: Installing the Zune… sucked
So we have…
- Wireless DRM imposing, self destroying, battery sucking, sharing.
- Microsoft Points/free loan to billionaires con. [ref one, ref two]
- Paying the Universal tax ‘cos they suspect I’m a pirate. (yeah, damn right I’m insulted)
- Incompatible with everything, even PlaysForSure (which it most certainly doesn’t).
- Plastic brown is not an attractive colour – whatever planet you come from.I’m not sure which is the worst feature, the DRM wireless, the points rip off, the pirate tax, but this stands out: Microsoft’s Zune will not play protected Windows Media Audio and Video purchased or ‘rented’ from Napster 2.0, Rhapsody, Yahoo! Unlimited, Movielink, Cinemanow, or any other online media service. Read all about it. Now tell me DRM is good.
I don’t see anything about the Zune that is good for you and me as consumers, or good for music and artists. I do see plenty that is specifically there to crap on our rights and the rights of musicians, and stitch up the future of media distribution til we are truly f*cked.
And no, I’m not trying to be smug, I’m just saying if you love music, don’t buy a Zune.